Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Words, words, words: Leccornia

It's funny how I can get on a roll with blogging, pounding out several posts in a week, and then all it takes is few days of laziness and procrastination and I haven't blogged in 3 weeks! My apologies, bloglings, it won't happen again!

I'll make this a short post, to get my feet wet again. Even though I went to two amazing exhibits this week and I am dying to share them with you!

How about this for a great word: Leccornia.

It means delicacy, morsel, or something simply divine to eat. Something scrumptious. Something mouth-watering. (As usual, English can't quite do it justice.)

It comes from the word lecco, which means "I lick", as in "finger-licking goodness". OK, I completely made that up. I don't know the etymology of the word, all I know is that I like it.

It doesn't necessarily refer to something sweet, but in my mind it does. To me, a leccornia looks like this:


Or like this:


Or maybe this:



This post is in perfect timing with my New Year's Resolution to give up sugar!*

Let's try this out in a sentence: Lecco le mie dita ogni volta che mangio una leccornia. (I lick my fingers everytime I eat a delicacy.)


*Translation: to cut back on sugar

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3

Liked it? Then share:
StumbleUpon Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...